Monday, February 21, 2011

Lessons from Dealer Expo 2011

Dealer Expo is over.

I was on fire this year having conversations with some very interesting people night after night until 3am.

A couple of random thoughts from the show before I write my full report.

AN INDUSTRY UNDER SEIGE 2011

*The Scooter Session with Josh Rogers was a great experience. The second day brought people to tears. When I watch the video from day two its like I was a different person. I thank everyone that attended and Joe Delmont @ Dealer News for writing that great review in the show Daily. It makes everything I've done the last 10 years worth it.

*Crude prices rise over 4% as protests in Libya, Iran, Iraq and other key oil producers heightens worries about supply disruptions over the weekend. However the real focus was costs for many of the dealers. They really need to focus on quality so we don't have a repeat of 2008.

*When I asked the audience who was United Motors, TNG, CPI Taiwan, Eton, Adly, TGB, Vento, Malaguti, Andretti, Benelli the responses in the room were only one or two hands. New dealers getting into the industry don't know the brands and most of the stores that attended the classes got in around 2008. That reinforces what I said "From the original 150 dealers I set up in 2000-2005 for Malaguti only 22 are still open in the USA." The turnover in this segment of the Powersports Industry is extremely large.

No comments: