Monday, December 19, 2011

The end of Saab shows consolidation continues

The last 4 years have been a rollercoaster of a ride for the worldwide automobile and powersports industries.

This morning I found out Saab was finally getting the axe and I was rather sad about. My third car was a Saab. I was the only 11th grader with a dark moss green car in the high school parking lot. It looked like a hunch back with a sunroof and heated seats. I mean who needed heated seats in Miami? It looked weird, but it was a quality vehicle and it was pretty fast.

Saab's 3,600 employees are owed nearly two month's back pay, plus three months of future wages, according to union IF Mettal. Suppliers are likely to end up writing off a combined €300m (about $400m) when you add it all up it's a big hit to global suppliers who supply others in the same industry.

No comments: